The first 3 columns (Research Focus Area", "Area of Expertise" and "Commodity") can be filtered to refine your search. Just click on the heading in the right corner of the highlighted area and select your preference from the drop-down that will appear.
* Irrigation practices and techniques;* Development, testing and evaluation of irrigation equipment;* In-field evaluations of performance of irrigation systems;* Improvement of existing designs, practices and established irrigation
methods;* Soil and water conservation structures and systems;* Silt fences to combat erosion.
* Renewable energy facilities, equipment and systems;* Biogas, wind/hydro power and solar systems;* Methane
potential testing sytems.
* Appropriate animal production facilities, equipment and systems;* Farm structures, facilities and equipment;* Climate controlled structures and facilities.
* Evaluation, development and design of product processing & value-adding equipment, facilities and systems;* Engineering design and advice on post-harvest aspects (storage, cooling, drying and handling facilities).
* Specialised electronic units to assist researchers in achieving their goals; * Electronic equipment and systems for the agricultural environment;* Precision farming electronic equipment utilization possibilities;* Essential
oils testing systems.
* Timely research
support on specific projects
Farm assessment, project management
* Statistical training courses and workshops.
* Statistical experimental planning and design;* Univariate and multivariate statistical methods; * Assistance with writing statistical procedures in reports, theses and publications; and* Statistical training courses and workshops.
* Advise in conducting research, development and technology dissemination
projects;* Determine the economic impact of reseach initiatives;* Economic and social analytical techniques; and* Impact assessment studies.
* Consultation and data analysis;* Regression, crop estimation and general agricultural statistics; * Experimental design; * Univariate and multivariate statistical methods; * Crop yield probability recommendations; * SAS IML matrix programming; and * Basic and article writing courses.
* Experimental design; * Univariate and multivariate statistical methods; * Sensory and consumer data; * Plant disease data; * Horticultural data; and * Multi trial data analysis
* Experimental design; * Univariate, Bivariate and Multivariate statistical methods; * Designing questionnaires; * Design and analysing data for quantitative and qualitative survey research; and * Econometric data analysis.
* Design and analysis of experiments; * Data exploration using Pivot tables; and* Designing and analysing survey data.
* Design and analysis of experiments; * Exploratory multivariate statistical techniques for multidimensional data; and * Designing and analysing questionnaires.
* Experimental design; * Multi trial data analysis; * Genetic and Psychological data analysis; * Univariate and multivariate statistical methods.
Research and product development
* Sunflower breeding;* Genetics, genomics and genetic engineering for
yield, oil quality, and other traits;* Biofuel production and processing.
* Feed Safety - mycotoxin research
* Genetic Toxicology* In vitro toxicity and natural products isolation* Toxicology Diagnostics
* Culicoides identification, taxonomy and surveillance* Repellent testing using UV light traps* General biting fly identification.
* Collection and Submission of Specimens;* Collaborating and
reference centers;* Diagnostics & Submission Forms.
* Foot and Mouth Vaccines
- Antigen Production
* Foot and Mouth vaccines - Tissue culture services
* Tick-borne disease live blood vaccines
* Molecular diagnostics - African Horse Sickness
* Development of potential molecular diagnostic assays* Growth of viruses in cell culture* Testing reagents for use as diagnostic tools* Producing potential reagents for diagnostic tools (purified virus, DNA, RNA)
* Viral Diagnostics: - Virus isolation and neutralisation test - Haemaglutination inhibition - Agar gel immunodiffusion - ELISA
* Viral Diagnostics: - Complement Fixation Test - Agar gel immunodiffusion Test - Haemaglutination inhibition Test
* ISO17025 - Implementation* ISO17025 - Auditing
* Bacterial Serology Diagnostics* Brucellosis, Dourine & CBPP* Leptospirosis
* Molecular diagnostics of bacterial diseases: Q- fever, Anthrax, Campylobacteriosis, Brucellosis, Salmonellosis, Clostridial diseases etc. * Food borne diseases/pathogens* Non tuberculous mycobacteria
* Bacterial isolation and identification* Bacterial typing* Identification of zoonotic bacterial pathogen* Antimicrobial profiling of bacterial pathogens
* Biosafety and Biosecurity
* Diagnostics and epidemiology of Tuberculosis & Johne's disease
* Molecular diagnostics of viral and other veterinary pathogens
* Molecular Diagnostics - Corridor disease - Characterization of Theileria parva using next generation sequencing
* Diagnostics and Epidemiology of blood-borne parasites* Genomics of protozoa* Tick biology, taxonomy and systematics* Tick genomics, proteomics and transcriptomics
* Field based disease investigation
* Rabies Diagnostics and Research - validation of serological and molecular assays - virus characterisation - vaccine assessment
* Analysis of anti-nutritive and toxic factors in feeds and plants
* Tick Identification, sequencing & phylogenetics
* Heartwater vaccines development* Tissue cultures & Antigen production
* Chemistry & Pollution Risk Assessment* Food and Feed Safety* New Method Development & Validations* Residue Analysis- Antibiotics, Veterinary drugs, Mycotoxins * Pesticides and Environmental Contaminants* Risk Assessment, Exposure Analysis and Remediation
* Research on helminths of wildlife; * Helminth diagnostics; * Curation of National Collection of Animal Helminths
* Transboundary Animal Diseases Diagnostics * Transboundary Animal Diseases Research - Foot and mouth Disease - African swine fever - Peste des petits ruminants)
* Collection and storage of Specimen* Biobanking and Tissue culture services* Training * Laboratory Management Systems & PACS custodian
* Epidemiology & Heartwater diagnostics* Cell cultures* Amblyomma hebraeum tick breeding and infection with heartwater
* Foot-and-Mouth Disease: - Epitope mapping for improved vaccine design - Molecular development of improved diagnostic tests - Development and validation of FMD diagnostic tests for small ruminants
* Veterinary vaccine and diagnostic development: - Cloning. PCR. Nucleic acid extraction & Cell culture techniques - Virus isolation and purification - Vaccine development for Lumpy skin disease - Recombinant vaccine generation - Internal quality auditing of SANAS accredited ARC-OVR diagnostic laboratories.
* Veterinary vaccine and diagnostic development: - Cloning, cell culture, protein expression & animal trials.
* Recombinant antibodies* Vaccine research support and monitoring * Immuno-diagnostic development
* Vaccine Production, Epidemiology & Immunology* Vector Biology and ecology (Argasid Ticks)
* Vectored livestock vaccine development* Diagnostic test development support* Epidemiology of livestock diseases* OIE Reference Laboratory expert for lumpy skin disease
* Bacterial- and Comparative genomics* Identification of vaccine candidates
* Experts in immune transcriptomics analyses and interpretation of immune responses induced in large animal models by vaccines or pathogen infection.* Immune assays: LPA; ELISPOT; Phenotypic analyses on flow cytometry* Vaccine design: Identification of immune epitopes; DNA vaccines; nano vaccines
information, breeding values & value added
information, breeding values & value added
* Project planning, management
& implementation of community mobilization;* Identify and evaluate opportunities in liaison with local government and community structures.
Sensory analyses & food composition; - compilation of food composition tables.
ARC Irene Analytical Services Product analysis & chemical and microbiological analysisARC Elsenburg - Eastern and
Western Cape* Chemical and microbiological analysis;
* Compositional analysis of milk;Sensory laboratory * Sensory evaluation;* Quantitative Descriptive Analysis; * Consumer sensory evaluation; * Shelf live stability tests;* Comparative product analysis; * Statistical interpretation of results & consultations
* Forage production and
management; * Forage plant breeding and evaluation;* Screening and maintenance of National Forage Genebank.
models for national and genetic evaluation systems of livestock;* Reproduction, growth & carcass
traits;* Applying animal breeding to
animal production systems;* Routine estimation of breeding values.
* DNA profiling for parentage
analysis;* Animal forensics;* Testing for genetic defects & advantageous
genetic characteristics;* Genetic structure
and diversity of livestock & game;* Identification of useful genes in livestock.
*Cryo-preservation technology;* Computer Aided Sperm Analysis(CASA) system;* In-situ and ex-situ
conservation of genetic resources;* In vitro and in vivo embryo
production, multiple ovulation, embryo transfer and splitting;* Oogenesis, spermatogenesis,
nuclear transfer and intracytoplasmic sperm injection;* Genetic characterization of indigenous
livestock and poultry.
* Meat Production and Slaughter Technology processes;* Biochemistry - biological processes and mechanisms; - meat tenderness, texture, colour & moisture characteristics.* Food safety and Product evaluation - food quality, shelf life, nutritional value & acceptability; - chemical, nutrient compositional & micro-biological analyses.
* Meat Technology - processed meat product yield and quality; - development on products.
* Gastro-intestinal microbiology and bio-technology - development of additives and supplement.
Rangeland Ecology * Ecology of Biomes * Savanna Ecosystem dynamics * Climate change & Ecosystem services * Sustainable utilization of game ranches & protected areasRangeland management, monitoring & restoring
and unconventional feeding systems; * Evaluation of feed additives
that support efficiency and health; * Nutritional
requirements;* Optimization of feed intake & digestive efficiency; * Evaluation of silage
inoculants;* Preservation of forages.
* Breeding, genetics and evaluation
* DNA Fingerprinting
* Breeding and genetics
Public Relations Officer
* Bacterial Diseases
* Codling Moth & Oriental Fruit Moth;* Pear leaf roller, Grain Chinch Bug, Weevil & Mealybug; * Thrips & Ants.
* Fungal & root diseases;* Bud fertility (diagnostic services).
* Chemical pesticides
* Mealybug pheromone trap counts
* Bud mite
* Fungal & root diseases;* Bud fertility (diagnostic services)
* Agricultural Proteomics
* Biochemistry & Nutraceutical development processes
* Phytochemical molecules e.g phenolic
* Fruit, fruit juice & alcoholic beverage polyphenol profiling (Chemistry)
* Post-Harvest technology
* Irrigation scheduling recommendation for deciduous fruit
* Yeast genebank curator & ARC INF_NVB genebank coordinator;* Wine and Olive
* Table Grapes - Breeding and Genetics
* Table Grape Evaluation
* Pest/disease management on table and dried grapes
* Chemical pesticides & Wine Analytics
* Irrigation scheduling recommendation for wine grapes
* Rooibos and honeybush tea processing
* Breeding and Genetics